These Veggie Summer Rolls are healthy, refreshing, and easy to make. They can be the perfect appetizer, side, or light dinner. These delicious rolls are gluten free and can be made in 30 minutes or less.
Although, these are called Summer Rolls they are great to eat all year round. I love to eat them for lunch, dinner, or as a side dish! With this recipe I used a multiple different vegetables that I had in my fridge along with baked tofu that I cut into strips. I wrapped them in the traditional rice paper I found at my local grocery store and dipped them in homemade spicy peanut sauce.
Feeling extra creative? I like to sometimes cut my veggies into fun shapes like stars, hearts, and flowers before adding them to my Summer Rolls. I also like to dye to my rice noodles using fun colors, like you see in the photo below. Not only do adults love making these fun, and bright Veggie Summer Rolls but so will your kids!
The best parts about these Summer Rolls is that you can be creative with your ingredients. Any type of raw veggies or herbs that you have in your refrigerator taste wonderful packed in your Veggie Summer Rolls. Since this is a go-to recipe in my home I pretty much change the ingredients everytime I make them. One thing I do like to change up the most is what protein I add. I always switch back and forth between tofu or tempeh. I love adding one of these to my rolls because I have found it keeps me feeling full for longer.
When you get your rice papers they are dried and hard. In order to roll your Summer Rolls you want to soak the rice papers in cold water for a couple minutes until they become soft. I like to use a medium size bowl filled about half way and slowly put the rice papers in the water individually. From my experience, putting in more than one rice paper in the bowl of water at the same time will make them stick together.
After it has become soft, I then lay the wet rice paper flat on a cutting board that has been wrapped in a towel. By wrapping it with a towel it will prevent the rice papers from sticking to your board. After laying your wrap on the board you will add your Summer Roll fillings laying the veggies in the middle horizontally. You want to make sure that the veggies are not laid in the direction that they will pierce the rice paper wrap.
You are then going to fold the sides of the rice paper toward the middle of the vegetables and then the top of the roll to the bottom tucking everything. The rice paper will automatically stick everything together making this process easy. I have found this video on how to properly roll your Summer Rolls to be very helpful How to Wrap Rice Paper Summer Rolls.
I like to cut the Veggie Summer Rolls in half so you can see all of the beautiful filling. I then garnished my Summer Rolls with black and white sesame seeds and dunked them in these tasty, and delicious spicy peanut sauce. Eat your Veggie Summer Rolls immediately after making. Storing them in the refrigerator and eating them the next day will cause the wrappers to become dry and hard.
These Veggie Summer Rolls are:
If you make these Veggie Summer Rolls I would love if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it.
Veggie Summer Rolls
These Veggie Summer Rolls are healthy, refreshing, and easy to make. They can be the perfect appetizer, side, or main entree.
- 10 rice paper wrappers (GF)
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped into 3 inch slices horizontally
- 1 cup lettuce, spring mix or butter lettuce chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 package of tofu chopped into 3 inch slices and baked
- 2 cups of rice noodles, cooked (GF)
- 1 avocado, chopped, optional
- 1 lime, sliced (optional)
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce or coconut aminos (GF)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Combine all of the spicy peanut sauce ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a small serving dish and set aside. 2. Fill a medium bowl with warm water. Place one rice paper in a bowl of water for 1-2 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Lay the wet rice paper flat on a cutting board that has been wrapped in a towel. Place 1 to 2 pieces of tofu, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, lettuce, and rice noodles in the middle of the wrap horizontally. Sprinkle sliced green onions and cilantro on top of the veggies. Beware that the rice paper rips easily so you want to be very cautious that you lay the veggies in a direction that they will not pierce the rice paper.
- Fold the top of the rice paper toward the middle of the vegetables and then the right and left side of the rice paper tucking everything in, then roll it up. The rice paper will automatically stick everything together making this process easy.
- Cut the Summer Spring Rolls in half so you can see all of the beautiful vegetables. Dunk them in spicy peanut sauce and eat immediately!
- Use any type of vegetables that you have in your refrigerator. Some great fillings that also taste great in a summer roll are lettuce, zucchini, rice noodles, fruits, basil, and tempeh.
- If you have a peanut allergy skip the peanut sauce and dunk you Summer Spring rolls in soy sauce, liquid aminos (GF), hoisin sauce, or sriracha.
- The first time I made these rolls were at a party. Cut up all of the lovely fillings and place them in the middle of the table. Fill a couple bowls of water and let you guest make their own Summer Spring Rolls. It’s fun and delicious!