Looking for a simple lunch or dinner recipe? You must make these Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets! They are crunchy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside. Baked instead of fried, making these healthier than your normal nuggets. Pair these with fries, veggies and your favorite dipping sauce and you have the perfect meal!
For this recipe it is very important that you use pressed tofu. Why, pressed tofu you might ask? In order to get these nice and crispy Tofu Nuggets you don’t want a ton of moisture packed in the tofu. With tofu absorbing liquids very easy, so you want to make sure to get as much of liquid that was sitting in the package out before breading and baking it.
To press my tofu I simply removed it from it package and drained the water. I placed a clean kitchen towel on a large plate and put the tofu on top of the towel. I then put something heavy on top of the tofu. To press my tofu I like to stack 2-3 ceramic bowls on top of one another. I let the bowls sit on the tofu for 15-20 minutes letting the tofu release all of the extra moisture. You will be surprised on how much liquid the kitchen towel will absorb.
I then cut my Tofu Nuggets into 1 ½ inch by 3 inch pieces making a rectangle shape. I want to make my nuggets large enough that I can pick one up and dunk it into my favorite condiment. However, if you would rather have smaller or larger ones they still will taste delicious whatever size. Depending on the size of your nuggets you might need to adjust the baking time.
Not only is the recipe adult approved but also kid approved! I cut these nuggets into rectangular pieces. Though, if you would like to be extra creative you can use small cookie cutters to cut the tofu into fun kid approved shapes.
For the breadcrumbs I added one of my favorite seasonings to the mixture. That is nutritional yeast, or what you might have heard it called “nouch”. It has a savory and cheesy flavor to the breadcrumbs that I absolutely love. Not only will nutritional yeast add flavor to your Tofu Nuggets but is packed with vitamins including a large amount of B12.
After breading your Tofu Nuggets you will want to arrange the tofu evenly on greased sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes. Then flip nuggets and bake again for an additional 15 minutes. If you want extra crispy Tofu Nuggets set oven on broil for an additional 2 minutes watching them very carefully.
If you make these Crispy Tofu Nuggets I would love if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
These Tofu Nuggets are:
Quick & Easy
Crispy Tofu Nuggets
These Tofu Nuggets are crunchy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside. Baked instead of fried, making these healthier than your normal nuggets. Pair these with fries, veggies and your favorite dipping sauce and you have the perfect meal!
- 1 package of tofu, pressed
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, I used sriracha
- 1 Tbsp oil, I used avocado
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 C). Spray a large sheet pan with oil and set aside.
- Cut your pressed tofu into nugget pieces. I cut mine into 3 inches by 1 ½ inch pieces making a rectangle shape.
- In a medium bowl combine the dairy-free milk, soy sauce, hot sauce, oil, oregano, salt, pepper, ground flaxseed and mix. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs and nutritional yeast. Mix together and set aside.
- Dunk your tofu nugget in the milk mixture covering the whole nugget. While it’s wet bread the nugget with the breadcrumb mixture covering both sides.
- Arrange breaded nugget on the oiled sheet pan evenly and repeat process.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Take out, flip, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. To get extra crispy Tofu Nuggets set oven on broil for an additional 2 minutes watching them very carefully.
- Leftovers will last 2-3 days in the fridge and a 1 month in the freezer wrapped up.
Make it Your Own
- Want them extra spicy? Double the hot sauce that you add to the milk mixture.
- This recipe makes about 12 , so if you want more double the recipe.
- Want extra crispy Tofu Nuggets? After baking your nuggets for 30 minutes set oven on broil for an additional 2 minutes watching them very carefully.