Looking for a simple yet delicious appetizer to make for New Years? Make these Smashed Potatoes! They are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Covered with delicious homemade vegan pesto and sprinkled with cashew parmesan. A dish that everyone will love!
TIPS WHEN SMASHING YOUR POTATOES
- How to pick out the right potatoes. I used mini yellow potatoes which are also called yukon gold potatoes for this recipe. When picking your potatoes I definitely recommend choosing the mini potatoes. When smaller in size I find the crips easily.
- Make sure to boil your potatoes so they are nice and tender. You can check to see if they are all the way cooked but piercing it with a fork. If it pierces easily, then it is cooked all the way through.
- To mash or “flatten them” I used the bottom of a glass cup. But a large fork will work as well.
- Make sure not to smash your potatoes so that they are too thin. Around 1/2 of an inch will be perfect.
- Before placing the smashed potatoes in the oven make sure to sprinkle your oil, salt, and garlic powder on the potatoes.
- When flipping your potatoes make sure to use a spatula to flip them. The potatoes won’t be sturdy until you have baked them twice.
I made this simple Homemade Pesto to add to the top of these smashed potatoes. Under the ingredients I added pine nuts or cashews as an option for ingredients. I love using pine nuts however, they are super pricey. So, I have found using cashews instead are a great substitute. I also added 4 to 5 tablespoons of water to the ingredients as well. This amount will all depend on how thick or thin you would like your pesto. To make it thinner add more tablespoons of water to make it thicker less.
These smashed potatoes taste the best when they are eaten immediately. If you have leftovers they can be stored wrapped up in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They taste the best reheated at 425 degrees fahrenheit (281 C) for 10-15 minutes.
These Crispy Smashed Potatoes are:
Vegan & gluten-free
Fluffy in the inside
Crunchy on the outside
Simple to make
If you make these Crispy Smashed Potatoes I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
They are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Covered with delicious homemade vegan pesto and sprinkled with cashew parmesan.
- 9 mini yellow potatoes scrubbed clean, I used yukon gold potatoes
- 2 to 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup red onion, sliced thinly, garnish (optional) see notes*
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped thinly, garnish (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cashew parmesan, garnish (optional)
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts or cashews
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 to 5 Tbsp filtered water
- Fill a large pot with water. Turn the stove top on to medium-high heat and bring water to a boil.
- Salt your water and slowly add your potatoes. Boil for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit (218 C).
- In a powered blender or food processor combine the Homemade Pesto ingredients together and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Oil or spray a large baking pan. Take boiled potatoes out of the water and pat down and dry. Evenly place potatoes on a baking pan.
- Using the bottom of a sturdy cup or a large fork smash your cooked potatoes so that they are about ½ inch thick. If you want extra crispy potatoes smash them thinner.
- Drizzle potatoes with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of garlic powder. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out, flip and repeat the process.
- Place smashed potatoes on a plate and top with homemade pesto, fresh basil, cashew parmesan, and crispy red onions.
- Serve and eat immediately.
Make it Your Own
- To make crispy red onions chop your onions very thinly. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and bake for 10 minutes.
- I smashed my potatoes ½ inch thick. If you want extra crispy potatoes smash them thinner.
- I added homemade pesto to the top of the potatoes. However, they taste just as wonderful without the pesto.