Delicious homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce. Made with wholesome and healthy ingredients. Pair this sauce with your favorite type of pasta and you will have a new family friendly recipe.
TIPS WHEN MAKING YOUR SAUCE
- Make sure not to overcook your onions and garlic. Once you see that the onions are translucent, then take them off the heat.
- My local grocery store only sells sun-dried tomatoes in a jar, so that is what I ended up using. Although, sun-dried tomatoes sold in a plastic container (really dried ones) also works great as well.
- This recipe calls for ¼ cup of pine nuts. You can substitute pine nuts for walnuts or cashews. Substituting with these nuts will still give the sauce that texture and flavor.
- I used a high powered blender to blend my sauce to the consistency that I wanted. However, if you have a food processor, or an immersion blender that will also work.
- This sauce tends to have a thicker consistency. If you would like it to be thinner, I recommend adding a half a cup of vegetable broth to the sauce.
This red sauce can be diversified by using it in multiple different dishes. This yummy red sauce can be used in a variety of pastas, lasagna dishes, and even topped on pizzas! My go to is topping it off my gnocchi.
This sauce will last in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also jar this sauce to preserve it as long as possible. However, since this recipe calls for wholesome ingredients without any added preservatives it will not last terribly long.
This Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce is:
Bursting with flavor
Simply Easy to make
If you make this Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce I would love it if you would snap a photo of your dish and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Sun- Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
Delicious homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce. Made with wholesome and healthy ingredients. Pair this sauce with your favorite type of pasta and you will have a new family friendly recipe. .
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
- 1 Tbsp oil, I used avocado
- 1 large onion, chopped in small pieces
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, I used them from a jar
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, I used a 14.5 ounce can
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 box of pasta, cooked according to the back of the package.
- Heat a medium sized pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the oil, chopped onions, garlic and stir. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and salt to the pan and stir. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, combine the ingredients from the pan along with the pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil. Pulse until the sauce has become a desired smooth consistency.
- Add sauce to your cooked pasta and top with garnishes. For this pasta I like to use pine nuts, cheese, or fresh basil. Eat and enjoy!
- When properly stored this sauce will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Pine nuts can be very pricey at the grocery store. Use walnuts or cashews as a great substitute instead of pine nuts for your sauce.
- This Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is a thicker sauce. If you would like it to be thinner add ½ cup of vegetable broth to thin it out.
- This sauce does not call for a lot of added salt. Add more by slowly adding ½ teaspoon at a time, taste testing it in between servings.
- My local grocery store only sells sun-dried tomatoes in a jar, so that is what I ended up using. Though, sun-dried tomatoes sold in a plastic container also works great as well.