Get your daily serving of veggies with this Healthy Vegetable Soup. Light, comforting, and super cozy. Topped with vegan mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and crushed red pepper. Not only is it delicious but vegan and gluten free as well!
This recipe makes a big pot of soup, large enough for about 6-7 servings. I love to make this soup in the beginning of the week and divide it into containers to either bring to work or have ready for a quick dinner.
If you want to add additional plant protein you can add two cans of chickpeas or other beans like northern beans. You can also add cooked pasta to this soup to make it more hearty. Some pastas that would be great in this soup would be orzo, macaroni, and elbow pasta. I just recommend adding the pasta at the very end so it doesn’t overcook.
I wanted to share some of the recipe ingredients that you can swap out in case you do not have the ones I listed in your pantry. The fun part about this Healthy Vegetable Soup is that you can be really creative with the vegetables that you add.
Fresh Spinach- Fresh Kale
White Onion- Yellow onion
Garlic Cloves- Garlic powder
Chickpeas – Northern beans or kidney beans.
Zucchini- Yellow squash
Sweet Potato- Yukon Gold Potatoes, red potatoes or russet potatoes.
Some amazing garnishes to add to your soup :
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Dried Herbs
- Nutritional Yeast
- Vegan Cheese
When you make this soup I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
This Healthy Vegetable Soup is:
Packed with Veggies
Healthy Vegetable Soup
Such a comforting soup you can make time and time again. Made with delicious noodles, tomatoes, lentils, and italian seasoning.
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, I used olive oil -1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes plus the juices
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small ½ inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, chopped into small ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ small lemon, seeded and juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, vegan (optional)
- Heat a large pot with oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, salt and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, canned tomatoes, sweet potato, zucchini, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano. Stir and bring soup to a boil.
- Once the soup starts to boil immediately turn the heat down to low/medium and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potato is fork tender.
- Add the lemon juice, fresh spinach, crushed red pepper (optional), nutritional yeast (optional) and stir. Remove the soup from the heat.
- Taste soup and add additional seasoning (salt, pepper, dried herbs) if needed.
- Divide into soup bowls and garnish with fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, or additional crushed red pepper flakes for a spicier soup.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Want to add a little extra? Add cooked pasta to this soup. Some great pasta include macaroni or orzo pasta.
- Don’t want your soup as thick? Add an additional 1 cup of filtered water or 1 cup of vegetable broth to your soup.
- Garnishes that I recommend for this soup include, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, dried herbs, crushed red pepper flakes, and nutritional yeast.