Butternut Squash Salad
When I think of a great salad I think crunchy, filling, and healthy and this salad is all that. This salad only requires 5 ingredients to make. How can it get better than that?
This Butternut Squash Salad is made from wholesome ingredients which include green leaf spinach, protein packed quinoa, crunchy pecans, sweet dried cherries and savory butternut squash. It can be topped off with your favorite salad dressing or simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixture.
After trying butternut squash out at a restaurant I immediately fell in love with it. At first bite I could describe that it tasted like a cross between a sweet potato and a pumpkin. My favorite way to eat it is with just a little oil sprinkled on it with some salt and pepper in the oven then sliced up in a salad. Not only does it add a nice texture to the salad but also a savory yet nutty flavor.
At first glance butternut squash might look a little intimidating to prep. It’s this large beautiful firm squash that has a tan yellowish skin on the outside but is bright orange on the inside. You might think like myself, how do I even cut this thing?
But after a lot experimenting I have found the easiest way to cut the squash. First of all you want to use a sharp knife. You are going to cut off both the top and the bottom on the squash this will ensure that there isn’t to much movement when cutting. Then with a vegetable peeler peel the skin off the outside of the squash. After getting all of the squashes skin off cut it in half making one long cut from the top to the bottom. You will see that the squash has seeds inside like a pumpkin. Make sure to scrape all of inside seeds out of the squash out using a spoon. Lastly, with the flat part of the squash facing down cut the squash into cubes.
If you make this recipe I would love if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it
Butternut Squash Salad
When I think of a great salad I think crunchy, filling, and healthy. This salad only requires 5 ingredients and one bowl to make.
- 2 cup cut, cubed butternut squash
- 5 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp salt, butternut squash
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a sheet pan with oil.
- Evenly spread out the cubed butternut squash on the pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the butternut squash for 30 minutes. To test if the butternut squash is cooked all the way use a fork and check to see if it goes in easily. If so then it is cooked all the way.
- In a large bowl or salad dish add the spinach, cooked quinoa, butternut squash, pecans and cherries.
- Toss with your favorite dressing and serve. Eat immediately otherwise the lettuce will get soggy from the dressing.
- Don’t have spinach? Butter lettuce or romaine will taste wonderful as well
- To make your pecans crunchy place them in the oven at 350 degrees F for 4 minutes before adding to your salad
- My favorite dressing to use is balsamic but any type of light dressing works as well.