Up your breakfast game with this Vegg McMuffin sandwich. This vegan breakfast sandwich is my play on the popular Egg McMuffin. Layered with savory tofu “egg”, melted cheese, mashed avocado, fresh tomatoes, and a crispy English Muffin… what more could you ask for? Whip this sandwich up in just 20 minutes and you have the perfect meal your next weekend brunch.
One of the most common breakfast sandwiches I ate growing up was a English McMuffin. So recently I had the idea to make my own vegan version of this popular breakfast sandwich.
The first thought I had was what type of food items could I use to replace the egg. After a lot of experimentation I decided on tofu. For this sandwich I used Trader Joe’s high protein tofu. Using this tofu I was able to skip a step and didn’t have to press the tofu to get the water out ahead of time. However, if you are not able to use this tofu I recommend using extra firm tofu. Before slicing your tofu into 1/2 inch slices you will want to press the tofu getting out as much water from the tofu as possible.
To get the shape of an egg you will want to cut your tofu into a circle. If you have a large circle cookie cutter you can use that as well. You want the tofu to be a little smaller than your English Muffin. I cut my tofu into a circle by placing the bottom of a small cup over the tofu slice to use the circle shape as a stencil to make my“egg”.
After cutting your tofu into a circle you will want to season the tofu with salt, pepper, turmeric powder, garlic powder. Using the mixture sprinkle seasoning on both sides of the tofu circles and fry for 2 minutes on both sides. The turmeric powder will give your tofu that yellow “egg” look.
You will then want to melt the cheese on your tofu circles. I have found that most vegan cheeses take a little longer than your dairy cheese to melt. To melt my dairy-free cheese I placed the cheese on the tofu and placed it in the oven on broil for 1-2 minutes. When doing this step you will want to watch it very closely. During this step the cheese can burn very easily.
Lastly, I buttered by English Muffins and assembled my sandwich with tofu, cheese, mashed avocado, and tomato.
If you make this Vegg McMuffin I would love if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like them!
This Vegg McMuffin is:
Quick & Easy
This vegan breakfast sandwich is my play on the popular Egg McMuffin. Layered with a savory tofu “egg”, melted cheese, mashed avocado, fresh tomatoes, and a crispy Englsh Muffin… what more could you ask for?
- 2 English muffins, cut in half
- 1 tsp oil, I used spray oil
- 1 container of extra firm tofu, pressed and sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 slices of cheese, I used Trader Joes soy slices
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, I used earth balance
- 1 avocado, mashed using a fork
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- Place the bottom of a small cup over the tofu slice to use the circle shape as a stencil to make your “vegan egg”. With a knife cut your tofu into a circle shape. If you have a large circle cookie cutter you can use that as well. Set tofu circles aside.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, turmeric powder, garlic powder, and mix.
- Evenly sprinkle the seasoning on both sides of the tofu circles.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Spray cooking oil on the pan and cook your tofu pieces for 2 minutes on each side. 4.Turn your oven on broil 500 F to 550 F (260 – 290 C.) Place your tofu circles on a baking pan and lay the cheese slices on top of your tofu.
- Broil your tofu for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted. Keep a close eye on it, the cheese can burn very quickly.
- Toast your English muffins and spread butter on the inside of each muffin.
- Assemble your Vegg McMuffin with tofu, cheese,mashed avocado and sliced tomato. Eat immediately!
- Leftovers will last wrapped up for 1-2 days in the fridge.
Make it Your Own
- For the tofu I used Trader Joe’s High Protein Tofu but any type of tofu will work just as well. You will just want to make sure to press the tofu and get as much water out as possible.
- If you are not vegan, you can use cheddar cheese slices instead of soy slices.
- I use parchment paper to line my pan before baking the tofu. However, if you do not have parchment paper spray your pan with non stick spray before baking.