Creamy Roasted Tomato Butternut Squash Soup. Loaded with tons of hearty and healthy veggies. This savory soup is not only delicious but is the perfect meal to make ahead of time. I whipped this simple winter soup up and garnished it with cashew cream, pepitas, roasted chickpeas and hemp seeds.
It’s finally starting to get chilly here in Charlotte so I decided this would be the perfect time to make some warm and cozy soup. Soup is always one of my winter staples because it is so healthy and simple to make. I usually find myself making a double batch so I can save it for leftovers.
To make this tomato soup you will first preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Spray your sheet pan with cooking oil or line it with foil. Place tomatoes, garlic, butternut squash and chopped potato on the pan. I only have pans that are completely flat so I like to line the pan with foil and lift up the edges. The tomatoes will leak liquid while roasting in the oven. Lifting up the edges of the foil will catch the excess liquid and will prevent the liquid from spilling on to the bottom of your oven. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven. The roasted veggies might have a slight black char to it. Transfer the roasted veggies, can of roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, nutritional yeast, salt, and crushed red pepper to a high powered blender. Using your blender blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
If you do not have a blender, an immersion blender will also work. Just transfer all ingredients to a large pot and blend. Just beware that it can get a little messy when using an immersion blender.
Divide the soup into bowls and serve. Garnish with your favorite toppings. I like to add a little more plant protein to my soup by sprinkling roasted chickpeas and pepitas seeds (pumpkin seeds without the shells) on top. Some of my other favorites include, croutons, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper.
This Roasted Tomato Butternut Squash Soup is:
If you make this soup I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Roasted Tomato Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy Roasted Tomato Butternut Squash Soup. Loaded with tons of hearty and healthy veggies. This savory soup is not only delicious but is the perfect meal to make ahead of time.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in thirds
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 russet potato, scrubbed clean peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp oil, I used avocado oil
- Roasted Chickpeas, I roasted these with 1 tsp avocado oil, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with foil and fold the foil edges up. 2.Place the tomatoes, butternut squash, potato, and garlic on the pan. Drizzle vegetables with oil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a high powered blender and add the additional ingredients to the blender.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in a air tight container for 3 days and 2 months in the freezer.
- Don’t have cherry tomatoes? Substitute the cherry tomatoes for 1 large tomato.
- Do you like spicy things? Instead of adding ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper use ½ tsp to your soup.
- Making this soup for the entire family? Double the recipe. This recipe will make enough soup for 3 adults.