Looking to make a simple and easy recipe? Whip up this homemade Spicy Pasta Sauce! Naturally spiced with crushed red pepper, and ready in just 25 minutes. Pair this sauce with your favorite type of pasta and have the ultimate cozy recipe.
TIPS WHEN MAKING YOUR SAUCE
- Make sure not to overcook your onions and carrots. Once you see that the onions are translucent and the carrots are soft, then take the pan off the heat.
- I know right now canned diced tomatoes might be difficult to find at the grocery store. If that is the case just use diced fresh tomatoes instead.
- The only canned diced tomatoes that I could find at my grocery store at the moment were ones that already had oregano, basil, and garlic already in the cans. So I didn’t put extra dried basil in my sauce. However, if you are using regular diced canned tomatoes I recommend putting one teaspoon of dried basil and a half of teaspoon of dried oregano.
- What makes this pasta sauce spicy is the crushed red pepper. If you like extra spicy foods add an additional teaspoon of crushed red pepper instead of just one teaspoon.
- I used an immersion blender to blend my sauce to the consistency that I wanted. Though, using an immersion blender can get a little messy. So I recommend using a food processor or blender.
- This sauce tends to have a thicker consistency. If you would like it to be thinner, I recommend adding a half a cup of vegetable broth to the sauce.
This red sauce can be diversified by using it in multiple different dishes. This tasty red sauce can be used in a variety of pastas, zucchini noodles, lasagna dishes, and even topped on pizzas! My go to is tossing it with my pasta.
Have leftovers? Store this sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Just keep in mind, this recipe calls for wholesome ingredients without any added preservatives. So it will not store longer than 3 days without going bad.
This Spicy Pasta Sauce is:
Easy to make
Bursting with flavor
When you make this Spicy Pasta Sauce I would love it if you would snap a photo of your dish and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Spicy Pasta Sauce
Healthy homemade Spicy Pasta Sauce. Made with wholesome ingredients, and ready in just 25 minutes. Pair this sauce with your favorite type of pasta and you will have the ultimate cozy recipe
- 1 Tbsp oil, I used olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped in small pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped in small pieces
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes, I used a 15 ounce can
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil (optional)
- ½ tsp dried oregano (optional)
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the oil, chopped onions, carrots, and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, and mix covering the veggies in the paste.
- Transfer the canned diced tomatoes, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano to the pan and stir. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Reduce heat down to low and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor. Pulse until the sauce has become a desired smooth consistency.
- Add sauce to your cooked pasta and top with garnishes. Eat and enjoy!
- When properly stored this sauce will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Make it Your Own
- . If you like extra spicy foods use 2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper instead of just 1 teaspoon.
- If you would like your sauce to be thinner add ½ cup of vegetable broth to thin it out.
- Like chunky red sauce? Skip blending the sauce and serve it as is.