Do you have a bottle of barbeque sauce just sitting in your refrigerator? Use that sauce to make these tasty BBQ Jackfruit Tacos. These tacos are comforting and healthy with delicious flavors. Make these in 30 minutes or less for a quick and easy dinner. This meal is vegan and can be made gluten-free by substituting the flour tortilla for corn.
This recipe is a twist on my Barbecue Jackfruit Quesadillas. Instead of making it into a quesadilla I decided to switch it up and make tacos! The only difference is that I added pinto beans to the barbeque jackfruit for additional protein. Along with sprinkling fresh spinach on top of the tacos instead of cooking it with the jackfruit.
For this BBQ Jackfruit I used simple ingredients you can find in your pantry. This pulled BBQ Jackfruit includes barbeque sauce, pinto beans, red onion, garlic powder, chili powder, and canned jackfruit. You can also sautee additional vegetables to your bbq jackfruit as well.
You can do this by using vegetables that you already have in your refrigerator. Some of my favorites include sauteed peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, and red cabbage. The options of vegetables to add to your BBQ Jackfruit is endless!
For the jackfruit I used green jackfruit in brine from Trader Joes. This can is 20 ounces which is slightly larger than the typical can size. If you are using jackfruit from a can that is 15 ounces I recommend using one and half cans of jackfruit instead of just one can.
Before shredding the jackfruit you will just want to rinse the jackfruit a couple times. This ensures that you get as much of the brine water off of the fruit as possible. You then will pat the fruit dry using a paper towel removing the excess water.
I wanted to share some of the recipe ingredients that you can swap out in case you do not have the ones I listed in your pantry or at your local grocery store.
Oil – Water
Red Onions – White or Yellow Onion
Flour Tortillas – Corn Tortillas or Crunchy Taco Shells
Pinto Beans – Kidney Beans and Black Beans
Garlic Powder- Fresh Minced Garlic
Chili Powder – Paprika Powder or Cayenne Pepper
Fresh Spinach – Lettuce Chopped Finely
These BBQ Jackfruit Tacos are vegan and can be made gluten-free by substituting the flour tortillas for corn. Also be aware that some barbeque sauces are gluten-free but not all, so check the back of the bottle if you are gluten sensitive.
When you make this recipe I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
These BBq Jackfruit Tacos are:
Simple to make
Can be made gluten-free
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
These tacos are comforting and healthy with delicious flavors. Make these in 30 minutes or less for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, I used olive oil
- 1 can of Green Jackfruit in brine (20 ounce can)
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¾ cup barbeque sauce, I used gluten-free sauce
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped finely
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut thinly
- 8 small tortillas, I used flour
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Drain, rise, and pat jackfruit dry. Using a fork, shred jackfruit chunks into bite sized pieces. 2.Heat a pan with oil over medium heat. Add jackfruit and onion and cook until fragrant and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce, pinto beans, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and water to the pan and stir. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh spinach, stir, and set jackfruit mixture aside.
- Assemble the tacos. Add the fresh spinach, bbq jackfruit, and avocado slices to a tortilla. Repeat until you have assembled all of the tacos.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onion, and eat!
- Leftover bbq jackfruit can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 day. If the tacos are assembled they will last 1 day in the refrigerator otherwise they become soggy.
Make it Your Own
- Add additional bbq sauce to your jackfruit mixture to make it extra saucy.
- Like a little extra spice? Sprinkle some crushed red pepper or jalapenos to the top of your tacos.
- Want to add more veggies to your quesadilla? Some others that I recommend are mushrooms, peppers, and jalapenos.