Have a can of chickpeas just sitting in your pantry? Whip up this healthy 20 minute Chickpea Stir Fry! Made with a savory sauce, crunchy red bell pepper, and topped with salty peanuts. This stir fry is vegan and gluten-free using certified GF hoisin sauce.
Are you stocked up on pantry ingredients but don’t know what to make with them? I know in my home we have tons of beans and rice, but are limited on ingredients like tofu and tempeh. So yesterday, when I was craving stir fry my creative mind went to work and decided to make Chickpea Stir Fry. It’s such a simple yet tasty meal that can be whipped up in minutes!
I used what I had in my pantry for this stir fry, which was a red bell pepper. Like myself, I recommend that you get creative and use what you have in your refrigerator. If you would like to add more than more vegetable I recommend doubling this stir fry sauce. You will notice that the vegetables will soak up the sauce, so having a little extra is great.
VEGETABLE TO ADD TO YOUR STIR FRY
- Baby corn
Are you gluten-free? Make sure to use certified gluten-free hoisin and soy sauce. One of my favorite brands to use is Kikkoman Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce and Kikkoman Gluten Free Soy Sauce (not sponsored). My mom has celiac disease so I know how careful you need to be when making sure to use wheat free ingredients. I know there are some really awesome gluten-free brands out there. I just recommend to really make sure to carefully read the back of the ingredients.
I wanted to share some of the recipe ingredients that you can swap out in case you do not have the ones I listed in your pantry.
Sesame oil – Neutral Oil
Soy Sauce – Tamari or Coconut Aminos
Garlic Cloves- Garlic Powder
Chickpeas – Garbanzo Beans
Crushed Red Pepper- Cayenne Pepper
Maple Syrup – you do not have to add it.
Red Bell Pepper- Any Color Bell Pepper
This Chickpea Stir Fry is:
Packed with flavor
Can be made in 20 minutes
When you make this stir fry I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Chickpea Stir Fry
Healthy 20 minute Chickpea Stir Fry! Made with a savory sauce, crunchy red bell pepper, and topped with salty peanuts.
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce, I used gluten free sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the vegetable broth, cornstarch, and mix. Set aside, we will use this later.
- Heat a large pot with oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic, chickpeas, red bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, hoisin sauce, crushed red pepper, and mix. Give the cornstarch mixture (the cornstarch sinks to the bottom) a stir and add it to the pan.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring constantly. You want to make sure it does not burn to the bottom of the pan. Once the sauce has thickened immediately take it off the heat. If you notice your sauce got too thick add more vegetable broth.
- Garnish with peanuts and chopped green onions.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 days.
Make it Your Own
- I highly recommend having all of the ingredients prepped and ready before making this stir fry. Since it takes 20 minutes having everything measured and ready, helps trimenusulay .
- I used a red bell pepper for this stir fry but feel free to add other vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, celery, and carrots .
- Garnishes that I recommend for this stir fry include chopped green onion, peanuts, and crushed red pepper.