Crispy and flavorful Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls. Packed with corn, black beans, tofu, chopped red pepper and taco seasoning. These egg rolls are baked and not fried making them a healthier than your typical fried egg rolls. Dip these in sour cream, guacamole, or salsa for the ultimate appetizer or snack.
For these Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls I added black beans, corn, chopped red peppers, and tofu. By adding the tofu not only does it give these eggs rolls a great texture but also adds plant protein. But before adding the tofu I made sure to get as much moisture out of the tofu as possible by pressing it.
To press the tofu I place the block tofu on top of a kitchen towel. Then I add something heavy on top of the tofu like ceramic bowl. Let the tofu block sit in that position for about 30 minutes and you will notice the liquid in that tofu will slowly seep out. Lastly, use a towel and dab the rest of the water from the tofu. Then cut your tofu into small squares and add it to your pan! It is as simple as that.
One fun thing about these is that you can fill it with pretty much anything you want! Substitute these ingredients for something that you already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
Here are a couple other ingredients I recommend for your Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls:
- Pinto beans
- Kidney beans
- Green or yellow peppers
Rolling these vegan egg rolls are actually super simple to make. I used Nasoya’s Vegan Egg Roll Wraps to make these.
I did not notice a difference between these eggless egg rolls compared to your typical egg roll wraps. Instead of using egg to seal the egg rolls together I used filtered water as my egg roll glue.
Step 1 – lay your egg roll wrapper down in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Add about 2 tablespoons of the fiesta filling horizontally toward the middle of the wrap.
Step 2- Fold the bottom of the wrap up tightly tucking the fiesta filling in. Fold the two opposite corners toward the middle of the wrap forming an envelope shape. You can use a dab of water to seal the sides of the wrapper. If the sides of the wrap is sticking out you can make two additional folds on each side.
Step 3- Place a little water at the top corner of the wrapper and roll tightly. Lay egg roll fold facing down. Repeat steps.
You can bake these egg rolls or cook them in your air fryer or fry them. For these I was trying to be more on the healthier side and baked them. Before baking or placing them in the air fryer you will want to brush coconut oil on top of the egg rolls. That will make sure that they become that golden brown color. If you are frying them in oil you do not have to brush coconut oil on top of the egg rolls.
When you make these Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
These Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls are:
Makes a great appetizer or snack
Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls
Crispy Vegan Southwest “Egg” Rolls perfect as an appetizer or snack. Filled with corn, black beans, tofu, chopped red pepper and taco seasoning.
Fiesta Egg Rolls
- ½ block of pressed tofu cut into small pieces, about 7 ounces of tofu.
- 3 Tbsp oil, I used avocado
- ½ red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup corn, I used canned
- 1 cup black beans, I used canned
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 18 “egg” roll wraps, I used Nasoya’s Vegan Egg Roll Wraps
- 3 Tbsp filtered water, this is for the “glue” for the wraps
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Line a large pan with parchment paper or spray with oil and set aside.
- Heat a medium pot on medium heat. Once hot add one tablespoon of oil, tofu, red pepper and fry for 5-6 minutes or until the pepper is slightly soft.
- Add the corn, beans, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pan. Mix and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
- Lay your egg roll wrapper down in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Add about 2 tablespoons of the filling horizontally in the middle of the wrap.
- Fold the bottom of the wrap up tightly tucking the fiesta filling in. Fold the two opposite corners toward the middle of the wrap forming an envelope shape. You can use a dab of the “glue” water to seal the sides of the wrapper.
- Place a little “glue” water at the top corner of the wrapper and roll tightly. Lay egg roll fold facing down on a baking pan. Repeat steps until you have wrapped all of your egg rolls.
- Brush the tops of your egg rolls with coconut oil and bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Dip in salsa and guacamole and eat immediately. Leftovers will last for 2 days wrapped up in the refrigerator.
- I recommend eating these rolls right when they come out of the oven. They taste best fresh and warm.
- With 2 tablespoons of filling per egg rolls this makes around 18. However, if you add less filling you can make more.
- If you feel like your egg rolls are not crispy enough after baking them you can leave them in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Just make sure to keep an eye on them so they do not burn.