Calling all breakfast lovers! You must try this thick and fluffy Vegan French Toast. Bursting with creamy cream cheese and topped with strawberries, coconut whipped cream, fresh mint, and drizzled with maple syrup. This dreamy Vegan French Toast will be your new go-to breakfast or brunch this summer.
TIPS WHEN MAKING YOUR FRENCH TOAST
- I recommend using older bread instead or fresh bread. If all you have is fresh bread I pop my slices into the toaster (just for half the amount of time) to firm them up.
- When picking which bowl to use for your Vegan French Toast mixture you want to make sure to use a big shallow bowl making it easy for you to dunk each slice of bread in the bowl.
- Whisk all ingredients in the bowl, cover it, and place it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to set. The ground flax seeds really thickens the mixture.
- Take the french toast mixture out and whisk once more, making sure the ground flaxseed doesn’t stick to the bottom of the mixture.
- Before frying your french toast I like to either spray by pan with oil or add butter to my pan. This step will prevent the slices from sticking.
- Dip your slices of bread in the batter, repeat steps until all sticks have been covered. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on them when frying, they will burn easily if left on longer than 2-3 minutes.
I layered my Vegan French Toast with creamy dairy-free cream cheese. I used vegan cream cheese and vanilla and mixed it together to give it that extra vanilla flavor. Looking for a delicious vegan cream cheese? Two of my got-to cream cheese brands are Kite Hill and Trader Joes.
As far as the amount of cream cheese, you can add as little or as much cream cheese as you want to each slice of bread. It is okay if the cream cheese slightly hangs off the side of the bread. Don’t have cream cheese? No worries, skip adding the cream cheese to your French Toast. It still will be delicious without it!
I topped it with strawberries, coconut whipped cream, mint, and maple syrup. The options for toppings for your French Toast are endless.
Below are some other toppings I recommend:
- Fried Apples
- Sliced Almonds
- Nut butter
- Fruit compote
This Vegan French Toast is:
Crispy on the outside
Soft on the inside
Gluten-free / Vegan
When you make this Vegan French Toast I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on Instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Vegan French Toast
Thick, fluffy, and bursting with flavor. Topped with strawberries,coconut whipped cream, fresh mint, and drizzled with maple syrup.
Vegan French Toast
- 5 slices of thick bread, substitute with gluten free bread.
- 1 cup dairy- free milk, I used unsweetened soy milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp oil, I used canola spray or melted butter (this is for the pan not the mixture)
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sliced Strawberries
- Coconut whipped cream
- Fresh mint
- Maple Syrup
- Combine the milk, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup, and ground flaxseed in a large shallow bowl and whisk. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Take mixture out of the refrigerator and whisk once more. Completely dunk your slices of bread in the mixture covering all sides. Repeat until you have covered all slices.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the spray oil or butter to the pan. Add 1-2 slices of bread to the pan (you don’t want to add too many at once).
- Fry slice on both sides until golden brown. I cooked my slices for 2 minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese and vanilla. Add an even layer of cream cheese to each slice of your french toast.
- Stack your french toast on top of one another. Serve with sliced strawberries, whipped cream, fresh mint, and maple syrup.
- I recommend eating your French Toast Sticks immediately. If left out for to long, they become soggy.
- You can use any type of bread you have on hand like gluten-free bread, white bread, whole wheat bread, or multigrain bread.
- Don’t have cream cheese? No worries, skip that step all together.