#Ad This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is the ultimate easy and stress free dish. Creamy, flavorful and packed with plant protein. Made with chickpeas, Primal Kitchen Vegan Mayo, and dijon mustard. This salad only requires 10 ingredients and can be whipped up in 20 minutes or less. Make this recipe gluten-free with the choice of bread.
HOW I REMOVED MY CANNED CHICKPEA SKINS
- The chickpeas I used were from a can with their skins still on.
- Before removing the skins I first rinsed and drained the chickpeas. I do this a couple times to ensure the chickpeas are completely rinsed of their can juice.
- Next, place a clean kitchen towel flat on the counter. Spread the chickpeas evenly on the towel making sure they are not overlapping one another.
- Using another kitchen towel place it on top of the chickpeas. Using your hands, gently rub the top of the towel moving your hands back and forth for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat this step once more time until all skins have been removed.
- Lastly, add the chickpeas in a bowl of water. Using your hands move the chickpeas around slightly until you start to see the chickpea skins float to the top. Drain the water along with the chickpea skins.
Majority of the skins will be removed with this kitchen hack. For the additional chickpeas that still have their skins still on them just remove them using your hands.
Mashing your chickpeas is super simple. You can do this step using a fork or a potato masher. You will want to only mash half of the chickpea. Leaving whole chickpeas in your salad will not only taste great but creates a lovely texture.
After mashing your chickpeas you are simply just going to add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
One of the key ingredients that makes this Chickpea Salad Sandwich super creamy and delicious is Primal Kitchen’s Vegan Mayo that I used. I love using this brand for its minimal and high-quality ingredients.
This mayo is Whole30 Approved, Keto Certified, Paleo Certified, and does not include any dairy. You can find Primal Kitchens Vegan Mayo at Target in their refrigerated section. To find a store near you visit PrimalKitchen.com.
I wanted to share some of the recipe ingredients that you can swap out in case you do not have the ones I listed in your pantry.
Dijon Mustard- Yellow Mustard
Garlic Powder- Minced Garlic
Chickpeas- Garbanzo Beans
Chopped Green Onion – Chopped White Onion
Slices of Bread- Crackers
Are you gluten-free? Make this entire recipe gluten by substituting the bread for gluten-free bread. If you are not able to find a gluten-free bread that you enjoy just use gluten-free crackers instead of bread. The crackers taste just as amazing as if you are putting the salad between two pieces of bread.
You can get super creative with the toppings that you add on your Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
Below are some tasty toppings I recommend:
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is:
Quick and easy
Vegan / Gluten-Free
Packed with flavor
When you make this sandwich I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on Instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Creamy, flavorful, packed with plant protein. This salad only requires 10 ingredients and can be whipped up in 20 minutes or less.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and skins removed.
- ¼ cup of Primal Kitchen Mayo
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dill pickle, finely diced, add more for a tangy salad
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine the chickpeas in a large bowl. Using a fork mash half of the chickpeas.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Taste Chickpea Salad and add additional seasoning (salt, pepper, or garlic powder). Place the salad in the refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes (optional).
- Spread the Chickpea Salad on your bread and top with your favorite toppings. For this sandwich I used microgreens, red onion, and tomato.
- Leftovers will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days. If you have prepared your sandwich with the bread I recommend eating it that day, otherwise it will get soggy.
- Not a fan of pickles? Skip adding those to your Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
- Are you gluten free? Substitute the bread for gluten-free bread to make this meal completely gluten-free.
To find a store near you that carries this creamy Primal Kitchen Vegan Mayo click here.