Warming One Pot Vegetable Lentil Soup. This soup is super comforting and perfectly spiced. Packed with lots of nourishing ingredients like lentils, carrots, tomatoes, celery, and tomatoes.
Who wants to drop a spoon into a big bowl of this? With the cold weather we’ve been having, all I seem to want this thick cozy soup. Don’t get me wrong, I like my creamy soups too, but the loaded veggies in this filling recipe are hard to beat.
If you want to add additional plant protein you can add beans. Some great beans that I would recommend using are pinto beans, chickpeas, great northern beans, or cannellini beans.
You can also add any type of fresh vegetables that you have in your refrigerator. For this soup I used canned tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and zucchini. Some other great vegetables to add include, potatoes, summer squash, kale or spinach.
Here are some ingredients that you can swap out with what you already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
GREEN LENTILS– You can substitute green lentils for brown lentils. You just do not want to cook the brown lentils as long (around 20-25 minutes). You can also use red lentils; they just take less time to cook and do not hold their shape as well.
CANNED ITALIAN STYLE DICED TOMATOES- You can use fire roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes from a can as a substitute. I just like using the Italian style for the extra seasoning.
VEGETABLES – You can substitute these vegetables with any other vegetables that you have. Depending on which ones you use will determine when you add them during the cooking process. For example, if you add spinach or kale you would add that toward the end.
GARLIC POWDER– Swap garlic powder for fresh minced garlic. Just make sure to really chop up the pieces really small.
OLIVE OIL- If you are oil free you can use filtered water instead of oil.
Do you like to eat leftovers?
I love making a big pot of soup and saving it for leftovers. Sometimes the leftovers are actually better than the original meal! . One good tip to keep in mind is that you might need to add more vegetable broth to thin this soup if it gets too thick.
When you make this soup I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
This One Pot Vegetable Lentil Soup is:
Packed with Veggies
Easy to make
One-Pot Vegetable Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian Style diced tomatoes plus the juices
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 6 cups (48 ounces) vegetable broth or stock, add more for a thinner soup
- 1/2 small lemon, seeded and juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the oil, chopped onions, carrots, celery, salt, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, lentils, garlic powder, basil, thyme, pepper, paprika, and chili powder to the pot. Stir until well combined. Pour the vegetable broth in the pot and bring soup to a boil.
- Once the soup starts to boil immediately turn the heat down to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the zucchini, lemon, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Taste soup and add additional seasoning (salt, pepper, dried herbs) if needed.
- Divide into soup bowls, eat, and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight conatiner for 3-4 days.