This post is sponsored by Primal Kitchen. All opinions are my own.
Hope you’re all having a great summer! I don’t know if it’s because everyone has been itching to get out and socialize, but I’ve been to a couple bbqs this summer already! I’ve brought these BBQ JACKFRUIT SLIDERS to the last one and they were a huge hit! Even with the non plant based crew!
This jackfruit is tossed with a flavorful Hawaiian Style BBQ Sauce, topped with a creamy tangy slaw, and placed on a sweet Hawaiian roll. They are super easy to make and definitely will be a crowd pleaser.
TIPS WHEN MAKING BBQ JACKFRUIT
- When using canned jackfruit in the brine you will just want to make sure to rinse the jackfruit a couple times before shredding it. This ensures that you get as much of the brine water off of the fruit as possible.
- The jackfruit will be wet from rinsing it so I recommend patting the fruit dry using a paper towel or kitchen linen.
- Shredding the jackfruit is super easy. Using your hands or a fork shred the jackfruit resembling a “pulled pork” texture. You might notice some hard pieces you can break off and discard them.
- First, saute the onion and jackfruit before adding the spices and bbq sauce.
- I personally like to bake the jackfruit to get that crispy texture. If you are short on time you can skip the baking step. Your bbq jackfruit will just be extra saucy.
Here are some ingredients that you can swap out with what you already have in your pantry.
ONION- Substitute the diced onion with onion powder. Just add the onion powder when you add the rest of the spices.
CHILI POWDER– Skip adding chili powder altogether. I think it really adds a nice flavor with the barbeque sauce but if you don’t have it that is okay.
HAWAIIAN ROLLS- I bought the Whole Foods Hawaiian sweet rolls for these sliders. Use any other type of bread for this sandwich.
LIME-Use lemon juice instead of lime juice.
GARLIC POWDER– You can substitute this with minced garlic. Just make sure to cut it into really small pieces.
I topped my sliders with this creamy and tangy slaw. This is optional but highly recommended! To make it simply combine all the ingredients together and mix. I like to place the slaw in the refrigerator to chill before adding it to my sliders.
Want to skip the bread? If you are not eating bread you can skip the rolls altogether and make this into a BBQ Jackfruit Bowl. Just assemble all the ingredients together and pair it was a grain like rice or quinoa.
For the BBQ sauce I used Primal Kitchen’s Organic Hawiian Style BBQ Sauce. It is packed with flavor and is made with ingredients like organic pineapple juice and coconut aminos. This BBQ sauce is USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Whole30 Approved®, Certified Paleo and Keto Certified.
To get 10% off your next purchase with Primal Kitchen use the code ITSALLGOODVEGAN. With this affiliate code I will receive a small commission.
These BBQ Jackfruit Sliders are:
Easy to Assemble
Made in 30 minutes
When you make these sliders I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
Satisfying, Saucy, and oh so flavorful. Top them with a creamy slaw and rolls for complete meal.
- ½ tsp neutral oil, I used avocado oil
- 1 can (20 ounce can) of green jackfruit in brine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Hawaiian Style BBQ Sauce , substitute with any type of BBQ Sauce, add more for a saucier jackfruit
- 6 slider buns or dinner rolls, I used Whole Foods Sweet Hawaiian rolls
Creamy Tangy Slaw
- 2 1/2 cups tri-color coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, I used Primal Kitchen Vegan Mayo
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp lime
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Hawaiian Style BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Drain, rise, and pat jackfruit dry. Using your hands or a fork, shred the jackfruit chunks into bite sized pieces. Discard any hard pieces of jackfruit you might find.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, jackfruit, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the BBQ sauce and mix until combined.
- Line a large baking pan with parchment paper and spread the BBQ jackfruit on the pan evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, toss, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all of the Creamy Tangy Slaw ingredients together and mix.
- Assemble your sandwiches with the BBQ Jackfruit and Creamy Tangy Slaw. Eat and enjoy!
- I recommend eating these the day you make them so the bun doesn’t get soggy.
- Don’t want to make sliders? Use large hamburger buns instead of mini buns.
- Add additional BBQ sauce on top of the jackfruit for a saucier sandwich.
Thank you to Primal Kitchen for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands that I recommend and love. I appreciate your support!