Healthy, yet comforting Stuffed Eggplant. This baked eggplant is filled with delicious orzo pasta, spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and topped with cheese. Make this tasty recipe as a side, or main dish.
TIPS WHEN PREPARING YOUR EGGPLANT
- After washing your eggplant, cut it lengthwise using a large knife.
- Place the cut eggplant facing flesh side up. Using a sharp small paring knife, cut the flesh in diagonal lines, about an inch apart. Turn and repeat the same cutting steps on both sides of the eggplant. Just remember not to cut through the skin. After your done cutting diagonal lines your eggplant should have a diamond pattern.
- Using the same knife, cut around the edge of the eggplant leaving ¼ perimeter of the skin. Most likely, your line will not be perfectly straight,but don’t worry about it.
- Brush your eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper. If you do not have a basting brush to use, just lightly drizzle the oil on top of the eggplant.
This Stuffed Eggplant with Orzo Pasta is not only appetizing but is packed with savory flavors. For the vegetables in this filling I used mushrooms, onions, spinach, garlic, and cherry tomatoes. However, you can substitute any of these veggies with ones you already have in your refrigerator. Some of my other favorites that I recommend include:
- Artichoke hearts
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Summer Squash
- Red peppers
After taking your eggplant out of the oven, you will want to make sure it has cooled slightly before scooping the eggplant flesh out. Waiting for the eggplant to cool will prevent you from burning your hands from the hot eggplant!. You do not want to burn yourself since they will be super warm.
Use a metal spoon to scoop the eggplant out. Once your finished with this, you will add it to the orzo pasta mixture.Keep in mind that eggplants are delicate, and the skin can rip easily. The skin is a base for the filling and should remain firm!
This Stuffed Eggplant with Orzo Pasta is:
Vegan comfort food
Bursting with flavors
If you make this Stuffed Eggplant with Orzo Pasta I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Stuffed Eggplant with Orzo Pasta
Healthy yet comforting Stuffed Eggplant. This baked eggplant is filled with delicious orzo pasta, spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and topped with cheese. Make this tasty recipe as a side or main dish.
- 2 Tbsp oil, I used avocado oil
- 8 oz of orzo pasta, gluten-free
- 1 onon, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 4 medium-large eggplants, cut lengthwise using a large knife.
- ½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, I used vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees F (204 c).
- Place the eggplant halves facing flesh side up. Using a sharp knife cut the flesh in diagonal lines, about an inch apart. Turn and repeat the same cutting steps on both sides of the eggplant. Your eggplant should look like there is a diamond pattern.
- Using the knife cut around the edge of the eggplant leaving ¼ perimeter of the skin.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of oil on the flesh of the eggplant. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper evenly on top of the eggplant. Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking bring a medium sized pot filled with water to a boil. Cook orzo pasta according to the instructions on the back of the box. Drain water, and set aside.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the cooked orzo pasta, cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ tsp salt, oregano, basil, thyme and mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the vegetable broth and fresh spinach. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Take eggplants out of oven. When cooled, scoop the eggplant flesh out and mix it in with orzo pasta Be careful not to rip the skin.
- Divide the orzo filling between the eggplant. Sprinkle boats with cheese and place in the oven to broil 500 F to 550 F (260 – 290 C.) for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Let cool and sprinkle with crushed red peppers (optional). Leftovers last up to 3 days covered in the refrigerator.
Make it Your Own
- When scoring your eggplant make sure to cut deep enough into the eggplant but not to much that it breaks the skin.
- Want to add more veggies to your Stuffed Eggplant? Use 1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes and 2 cups of fresh spinach.
- Watch your eggplant boats really carefully when putting it in the oven to boil. The cheese and eggplant can burn very quickly and easily.