Simple, delicious, melt in your mouth Savory Pocket Pies. Flaky puff pastry dough filled with savory goodness and baked until golden brown. These Savory Pocket Pies can be made as an amazing party appetizer or main dish.
For these Savory Pocket Pies I used store bought vegan puff pastry dough. I bought dough that was already thawed. I found it in the cooler section of my grocery store. However, you can buy it in the frozen section also, just make sure to let your dough defrost prior to working with it.
HOW TO MAKE A POCKET PIE STEP BY STEP
Preheat the oven to the temperature according to the directions on the puff pastry dough package. I preheated my oven to 425 degrees F (281 C).
Step 1 – Unroll the puff pastry dough with the parchment paper attached. Place the dough on a sheet pan. Using a pizza wheel, cut a cross shape in the dough dividing it into 4 even sections.
Step 2– Add your desired filling to the middle of the dough. Approximately 1 ½ tablespoons.
Step 3– Fold over your puff pastry dough evenly lining up the edges of dough to form a rectangle.
Step 4– Seal your pocket edges using a fork. Do this to all sides until they are closed.
Step 5– Brush the top of your push pastry dough with the vegan wash for a golden finish. Cut 2-3 small vent holes on the top of your dough. This allows the steam from the pocket to vent.
Step 6– Place your Savoy Pocket Pies in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked completely. They should puff up and turn a golden brown color. Top with fresh thyme and serve.
For this savory vegetable filling I used white onion, mushrooms, artichokes and fresh spinach. You can be as creative as you want when making your filling. Feel free to add what you already have in your refrigerator. Just make sure that you chop up the vegetables into bite sized pieces before adding them to the puff pastry dough.
- Shredded cheese
This recipe makes 4 medium sized Savory Pocket Pies, which makes them perfect for an appetizer. If you are looking to make these as the main dish for your family I recommend you double the recipe and pair it with a delicious salad.
These Savory Pocket Pies are :
Packed with veggies
Simple to make
When you make these Savory Pocket Pies I would love for you to snap a photo of your dish and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see your photos!
Savory Pocket Pies
Simple, delicious and mouth watering Savory Pocket Pies. Flaky puff pastry dough filled with a savory filling and baked until golden brown.
Savory Pocket Pies
- 1 package of thawed puff pastry dough, I used 13.2 oz
- 1 Tbsp butter, I used dairy-free butter.
- ½ white onion, chopped in small pieces.
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped into small pieces.
- ¼ cup artichoke hearts, chopped. I used them from the jar.
- ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped thinly.
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted.* This is the vegan wash not for the filling.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (281 C.).
- Heat a small pan on medium heat. Once warm, add the butter, onions, and mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the artichokes, spinach, nutritional yeast, dried thyme, salt, garlic powder and mix. Set aside.
- Unroll the puff pastry dough with the parchment paper attached. Place the dough on a sheet pan. Using a pizza wheel cut a cross shape in the dough dividing it into 4 even sections.
- Add your filling to the middle of the dough. Approximately 1 ½ tablespoons. Make sure to keep the filling in the middle. Do not spread it all the way to the edge.
- Fold over your puff pastry dough evenly, lining up the edges of dough making a rectangle.
- Brush the melted coconut oil (vegan wash) on top of your puff pastry dough using a kitchen brush.
- Cut 2-3 small vent holes on the top of your dough. This allows the steam from the pockets to vent.
- Place your Savoy Pocket Pies in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked completely. They should puff up and turn a golden brown color. Top with fresh thyme and serve.
Make it Your Own
- I used vegan puff pastry dough to make these Savory Pocket Pies. However, if you are not vegan, regular puff pastry dough will work just as well.
- I filled my pocket pies with mushrooms, onions, artichokes and spinach. You can be creative when it comes to the filling and substitute any of the vegetables for ones that you have in your refrigerator.
- When you add your chopped spinach to the mixture you will add it fresh and not sauteed. The spinach will cook while the puff pastry is baking.