Make this simple and easy Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli. Not only will this be a crowd pleaser but it is budget friendly. Made with only 10 ingredients, this family friendly dish can be made in 25 minutes or less.
Pasta Con Broccoli was one of my favorite dishes growing up. I used to run cross country in high school and one of our weekly rituals before a meet was to eat pasta the night before a race. Pasta Con Broccoli was always one of my go-to pasta choices.
Since becoming vegan this was one dish I always missed. So after brainstorming on recipe ideas to make I thought, why not recreate one of my favorites!
TIPS WHEN MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Pre-cook the pasta halfway. Your pasta will finish cooking when you add it to your cream sauce.
- To get the pasta to be creamy and thick you will combine dairy-free butter and flour together to make a pasty mixture. The paste is supposed to look very thick and sticky.
- Traditional pasta con broccoli has fresh broccoli and mushrooms. Usually I would recommend substituting fresh for frozen but for this recipe I do not. The frozen veggies will water down the sauce making it not as thick.
- Immediately take the pasta off the heat until you are ready to eat it. This will make sure the pasta does not over cook.
Are you gluten-free? Substitute the pasta and flour to make the entire dish gluten-free. I used medium pasta shells as the pasta but you can substitute it with any type of pasta you have in your pantry. Some of my favorites include penne, rigatoni, and farfalle.
Garnish your pasta with dairy-free parmesan or dried basil. One of my favorite vegan parmesan cheese to use is Violife. Though, if you are not a fan of alternative cheeses nutritional yeast would also taste wonderful.
I have found the longer the pasta sits out and cools the thicker the sauce will get. To thin the sauce out add 1 tablespoon of milk to the pasta until you have gotten the consitanty you desire. You can also add milk to the pasta before reheating your pasta and eating it for leftovers.
When you make this Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli I would love for you to snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to hear from you!
This Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli is:
Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli
Make this simple and easy Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli. Not only will this be a crowd pleaser but it is budget friendly. Made with only 9 ingredients, this family friendly dish can be made in 25 minutes or less.
Vegan Pasta Con Broccoli
- 8 ounces of pasta, I used medium shells
- 1/4 cup butter, I used dairy-free
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 1 Tbsp garlic, chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, substitute for 1 ½ Tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups of mushrooms, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups of fresh broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta half of the time (around 5 minutes) and drain.
- Heat the pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the butter and flour and whisk until a thick paste has been formed.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the cooked pasta, milk, garlic, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, stirring the entire time. You do not want it to turn into a rolling boil, this sauce can easily burn.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and add the mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms become soft.
- Take pasta off the heart. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional), divide in bowls and eat!
- Make this dish gluten-free by substituting the flour and pasta for gluten-free ingredients.
- Love veggies in your pasta? Add additional mushrooms and broccoli to this pasta.
- After this pasta has set out for a while it will thicken. To thin the sauce out add 1 tablespoon of milk to the pasta until you have gotten the consitanty you desire.
Looks like comfort food to me!
Made this tonight & it was AMAZING!
I am so happy you enjoyed it Jennifer! Thank you for sharing.
This was delicious! Made it for dinner last night and added a bit of miso and extra garlic because I didn’t have unsweetened milk. Would make again!