Tasty Black Bean Burgers. Packed with flavor and inexpensive to make. This recipe only requires 10 ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes or less!
My husband loves veggie burgers so it was no surprise when I asked him what he wanted me to make for dinner that he quickly answered black bean burgers. He also loves spicy foods so I decided to make this burger spicy.
TIP TO MAKING AN AMAZING BURGER
- To make these burgers spicy I added a half of a jalapeno. If you like it extra spicy add a whole jalapeno instead. Or if you are making these burgers and do not like a lot of spice dont add the jalapeno at all and just stick with the chili powder.
- I used a blender to prep my burger ingredients. However, if you do not have a blender or food processor you can still easily make these. Instead, chop up the onions and jalapenos really small and use a fork to mash your black beans.
- To form your burgers, divide your black bean mixture into 3 large balls. Using your hands form them into 3 patties. If you prefer thinner or smaller patties I recommend dividing your patties into 6 small balls.
- I used a cast iron skillet to cook my burgers. You can also use a frying pan or an oven to bake them. If you bake them I recommend cooking them at 350 degree F (176 C) for 10 minutes on each side.
If you want to add a cheese slice to the top of your burger I recommend leaving it in the pan and adding a ½ teaspoon of water and covering it with a lid. The water in the pan should steam the cheese making it melt.
If your vegan cheese still isn’t melting place your burger with the cheese slice in the oven at 350 degree F (176 C) for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese melts. It will also depend on what type of vegan cheese you are using and how long it takes to melt.
You can get super creative when it comes to adding toppings to this burger.
Some of my favorites include:
I even like to caramelize my onions and jalapenos before adding them to my burger.
Yes, I do admit I am that girl that always wants as many toppings as possible!
Are you gluten-free? There are two ingredients that make these burgers not gluten-free, and that is the breadcrumbs and the bun. To make this gluten-free all you have to do is substitute the breadcrumbs and bun for a gluten-free version.
When you make this burger I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like
These Spicy Black Bean Burgers are:
Quick and easy
Packed with flavor
Spicy Black Bean Burger
Quick and easy Spicy Black Bean Burgers. Packed with flavor and inexpensive to make. This recipe only requires 10 ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes or less!
Spicy Black Bean Burger
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, substitute for gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeds removed.
- ½ white onion, chopped into thirds.
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil, I used olive oil
- In a high powered blender or food processor combine the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and pulse until blended into small pieces.
- Combine the beans and 1 tablespoon of oil in the blender and pulse (2-3 times) or until the beans have turned into a sticky mixture but not a complete paste.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mix in the garlic powder, cumin powder, chili powder, bread crumbs and nutritional yeast to your black bean burger dough.
- Using your hands divide the black bean mixture into 3 large balls. Flatten the balls down and form your patties.
- Heat a pan or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Once hot add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook each burger for 5 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Lastly, add all of your favorite toppings to your burger. Some of my favorites include cheese, ketchup, spicy mustard, vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and pickles.
- Leftovers will last wrapped up in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Love spicy foods? Add a whole jalapeno instead of a half. Or if you are making these burgers and do not like a lot of spice dont add the jalapeno at all.
- Are you gluten free? Substitute breadcrumbs and bun to make this meal completely gluten-free.
- This recipe will make 3 large black bean burgers. If you want to make these into sliders divide the black bean mixture in 6 small balls instead.