Nut free creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese. The ultimate comfort dish that everyone in your family will love. This bowl of goodness only requires 9 ingredients and can be whipped up in 15 minutes or less.
This Delicious Vegan Mac and Cheese can be made using any type of pasta noodles. For this dish I used corkscrew-shaped pasta called Cellentani. I decided to use this type compared to the traditional elbow macaroni pasta for its beautiful shape and delicious texture. However, any type of pasta that you have in your pantry will taste wonderful. Some of my other favorites to use are penne, farfalle, ziti, and elbow macaroni pasta.
TIPS WHEN MAKING YOUR CHEESE SAUCE
- I recommend using all-purpose flour and dairy-free butter like earth balance. If you are gluten free substitute the flour for gluten-free flour.
- For my dairy-free cheddar sauce I used Follow Your Heart Cheddar Cheese. This is one that I highly recommend (not sponsored). Though, if you cannot find this brand near you any other vegan cheddar cheese will work.
- Keep in mind after you whisk in your dairy-free milk and cheese it will take about 5 minutes until your sauce will start to thicken up.
- Once the sauce thickens up immediately turn the stove down to low. The thick cheese sauce can easily burn if kept at a high temperature.
- If you feel like your sauce is too thick, just add additional plant milk to the sauce until you have gotten the texture of sauce you like.
- Cook your pasta noodles, drain them, and add them directly to your cheese sauce and toss.
If you have tried my Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potato recipe you know that I absolutely love cheese. But since becoming vegan I haven’t eaten it as much since I was not a huge fan of the taste of “vegan cheeses”. However, I recently discovered this brand of vegan cheese called Follow Your Heart that I really like (not sponsored) Since trying this I have had a change of heart on vegan cheeses.
To make this dairy-free, nut-free, and yeast free cheese sauce you only need 4 main ingredients plus some optional seasoning. You will need flour, butter, apple cider vinegar, and follow your heart vegan cheddar cheese. You can also substitute the Follow Your Heart Cheese for any other type of vegan cheddar cheese.
I have found the longer the cheese sauce sits out and cools the thicker the sauce will get. To keep the sauce from thickening up keep the sauce in the saucepan on low heat. While it is warm on the stove top it will still keep its liquid sauce form. If you want to thin your sauce even more add additional dairy-free milk.
Have leftover cheese sauce? To reheat your cheese sauce simply put it back in your small saucepan and heat it on low to medium heat on your stovetop. Once warm add 2-3 tablespoons of dairy-free milk and whisk until it becomes a sauce again.
I garnished my Vegan Mac and Cheese with crushed red pepper, dried thyme, and pepper. However, it tastes so WONDERFUL without anything else on top. I would highly recommend if you are making this for your kids to definitely skip the extra spice from the crushed red peppers.
When you make this Vegan Mac and Cheese I would love for you to snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to hear from you!
This Vegan Mac and Cheese is:
Packed with Cheese goodness
Quick and easy to make
Only requires 9 ingredients!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Nut free creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese. The ultimate comfort dish that everyone in your family will love.
- 16 ounces of pasta, cooked according to the back of the package.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, I used Follow Your Heart Cheddar Cheese.
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat a pot on medium heat. When hot, add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the flour and whisk until a thick paste has been formed.
- Add the milk, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, salt (optional) and black pepper to the pot. Constantly whisk for 4-5 minutes until the cheese melts. Once the cheese melts, turn the stove top immediately to low heat.
- Pour the cooked pasta into the pot with the cheese sauce and mix. Make sure to cover all of the pasta with the cheese sauce.
- Top with your favorite garnish. Eat immediately or keep in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Make it Your Own
- Use any type of pasta noodles to make this Vegan Mac and Cheese.
- I highly recommend using the cheddar cheese brand, Follow Your Heart just because I know it has a great cheddar flavor. However, if you are not able to find it at your local grocery store any other vegan cheddar cheese will work.
- I like to garnish my Vegan Mac and Cheese with crushed red pepper, dried thyme, and pepper.