Oh-so tasty Barbecue Jackfruit Quesadillas. Made with simple ingredients these quesadillas are bursting with flavor. Layered with delicious jackfruit, onions, spinach, and cheese. Such a comfort meal the whole family will love.
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. Made using minimal ingredients these can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less. Not only are these great to eat right away but taste just as wonderful eaten the next day.
For these quesadillas I only used simple ingredients which included, barbeque sauce, vegan cheddar cheese, red onion, fresh spinach, garlic powder, chili powder, canned jackfruit, fresh cilantro, and tortillas. The fun part about this recipe is that you can be creative with the ingredients you already have.
You can do this by using vegetables and spices that you have in your refrigerator. Or even add additional vegetables to this recipe like sauteed peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, and red cabbage. The options of vegetables and spices are endless!
For the jackfruit I used green jackfruit in brine from Trader Joes. This can is 20 ounces which is slightly larger than the typical can size. If you are using jackfruit from a can that is 15 ounces I recommend using one and half cans of jackfruit instead of just one can.
Before shredding the jackfruit you will just want to rise the jackfruit a couple times. This ensures that you get as much of the brine water off of the fruit as possible. You then will pat the fruit dry using a paper towel removing the excess water.
I wanted to share some of the recipe ingredients that you can swap out in case you do not have the ones I listed in your pantry or at your local grocery store.
Red Onions- White or Yellow Onion
Dairy Free Cheese- Nutritional Yeast
Garlic Powder- Fresh Minced Garlic
Chili Powder- Paprika Powder or Cayenne Pepper
Can’t find vegan cheese? No worries, like in this photo above I did not add cheese and it tasted just as wonderful. I just added some additional barbeque sauce helping the tortillas stick together.
When you make this recipe I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
These Barbecue Jackfruit Quesadillas are:
Quick & Easy
Can be made gluten-free
Barbecue Jackfruit Quesadillas
Oh-so tasty Barbecue Jackfruit Quesadillas. Made with simple ingredients these quesadillas are bursting with flavor.
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, I used olive oil
- 1 can of Green Jackfruit in brine (20 ounce can)
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ¾ cup barbeque sauce
- 1 Tbsp filtered water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, I used vegan cheese
- 6 medium tortillas, I used flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- Drain, rise, and pat jackfruit dry. Using a fork shred jackfruit chunks into small pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil on medium heat. Once hot, add jackfruit and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and water to the pan and mix. Cover pan and simmer on medium to low heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the fresh spinach, stir, and set jackfruit aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add the tortilla and layer with vegan cheese and bbq jackfruit and top with another tortilla.
- Flip quesadilla and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until cheese has slightly melted. Repeat process until you have assembled all of the quesadillas.
- Cut quesadillas, garnish with cilantro, and eat! Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 days.
Make it Your Own
- Add additional bbq sauce to your jackfruit mixture to make it extra saucy.
- Like a little extra spice? Sprinkle some crushed red pepper or add additional chili powder in your bbq jackfruit mixture.
- Want to add more veggies to your quesadilla? Some others that I recommend are mushrooms, peppers, and jalapenos.