Simple and easy 1-Pot Vegan Corn Chowder. Healthy yet comforting soup packed with fresh veggies like corn, celery, onion, and potatoes. Served with bread and garnished with chopped green onion. This recipe is family friendly and can be made gluten-free.
I made this Vegan Corn Chowder in honor of my grandpa. His Birthday is this week and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate him than to make one of his signature dishes, but vegan. He absolutely loved to cook and one of his favorite things to make was soup. We would come over for dinner and he would have a huge pot filled with soup to feed our whole family. Not only was his corn chowder always delicious but oh so comforting.
Potatoes- I recommend using gold yukon potatoes but if you do not have this type of potato red potatoes or russet potatoes will taste great as well.
Corn- I used fresh corn off the cob for this soup. Substitute fresh corn for canned or frozen corn. Just make sure when you add it to the soup that you don’t overcook it. With the fresh corn cut off the cob it came out to be about 2 cups of corn.
Onion– For this soup I used a large white onion. If you do not have white onion use a yellow onion instead. I do not recommend using a red onion for this soup.
Garlic- In this soup I used 4 cloves of garlic and chopped them up very finely. Substitute the chopped garlic for 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.
Vegetable Broth– I used low sodium vegetable broth for this soup. Depending on the type of vegetable broth or stock that you use will determine the color of your soup. If you do not have vegetable broth you can use filtered water instead or half veggie broth and half water. Just keep in mind if you use water instead that you will have to add extra seasoning to the soup to give it more flavor. Extra seasoning includes salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
Red Bell Pepper– Dont have red bell pepper? No worries, I do not recommend any swaps for this ingredient. The soup will taste wonderful without it.
Some amazing garnishes to add to your soup :
- Chopped Green Onion
- Dried Thyme
- Nutritional Yeast
- Vegan Cheese
Are you gluten-free? Make this entire soup gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour. Also serve it with a toasted gluten-free bread instead of sourdough bread.
This Vegan Corn Chowder is:
Simple & Easy
Can be made gluten-free
When you make this soup I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Vegan Corn Chowder
Simple and easy 1-Pot Vegan Corn Chowder. Healthy yet comforting soup packed with fresh veggies like corn, celery, onion, and potatoes.
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp dairy-free butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, substitute for GF flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 4 ears of fresh corn, husk removed and washed.
- 1 large white onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped in ½ inch cubes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth or stock, I used low sodium
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Green Onion, chopped finley
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add butter, salt, pepper, and chopped onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and stir.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, red bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir and bring soup to a boil.*Depending on the broth you use will determine what color your soup is.
- Once the soup is boiling turn heat down to low-medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is fork tender.
- Using a small knife cut the corn off the cob and add the fresh corn to the soup. Pour the dairy-free milk in the soup and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the corn is completely cooked.
- Taste soup and add additional seasoning (salt, pepper, or paprika) if needed.
- Divide into soup bowls or bread bowls. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Substitute vegetable broth or stock with filtered water. Just make sure to add extra seasoning to add flavor in place of the broth.
- Depending on what kind of vegetable broth you use will determine the color of your soup. If you want to have more of a yellow color use 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable broth. Most vegetable broths have a orange color to it.
- Don’t have yukon gold potatoes? Use red potatoes or russet potatoes instead.
0 comments on “Vegan Corn Chowder”