Make this dreamy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. Chocolatey, cakey, and super moist. With just 20 minutes to prep this cake is super simple to whip up. Eat it just as is or spread with nut butter and enjoy!
Calling all my chocolate lovers. This cake loaf is packed with bananas and chocolate for the ultimate soft and delicious sweet treat. Perfect to eat for breakfast, mid-day snack, or dessert. I love to pair my slice with peanut butter and warm coffee.
TIPS WHEN MAKING THIS CAKE LOAF
- For this recipe I used a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Line your cake loaf pan with parchment paper or spray it with cooking oil. This will prevent your cake loaf from sticking to the pan after baking.
- You will want to use two separate bowls when making your loaf. One bowl to mix the dry ingredients and another bowl for the wet.
- To make the vegan buttermilk mixture combine the dairy-free milk and apple cider vinegar together in a bowl. Let it sit in the bowl for a couple minutes before adding the additional wet ingredients.
- Do not overmix your batter. I like to limit my mixing to 1-2 minutes at the most. It is okay if there is a little bit of flour left on the sides of your bowl.
- Depending on your oven will determine how long you will bake your loaf (50 to 60 minutes). I test to see if my loaf has been cooked all the way by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean then its cooked all the way.
I recommend using overripe bananas for this recipe. Both of my bananas that I used had brown spots on them which made the loaf even more flavorful. This recipe calls for 2 medium bananas. If you can only find small bananas just use 3 instead of 2.
It is super important to make sure to mix your dry and wet ingredients in a bowl separately before adding them both together. This ensures that you mix both wet and dry really well. Plus by doing this you allow the apple cider vinegar and milk mixture to thicken before combining them together.
After pouring your batter into the cake loaf pan, sprinkle the remaining (1/4 cup) chocolate chips on top of the batter. By doing this, it keeps the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the cake loaf. By doing so, the chocolate chips will be displayed on top of the loaf even after baking.
Where to find vegan chocolate chips? I got these chocolate chips from Trader Joes. They had two options of chocolate pieces, chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. As you can see with this loaf I used chocolate chunks. If you are not able to find vegan chocolate chips or chunks at your local grocery store you can purchase two vegan chocolate bars and crush them into smaller pieces. They still will taste wonderful as wonderful in your Chocolate Banana Cake Loaf.
Eat this Banana Chocolate Chip Bread as is or top it with nut butter and fresh fruit. Some of my favorite toppings include, peanut butter, almond butter, fresh berries, sliced bananas, and chocolate.
This Banana Chocolate Chip Bread is:
Simple to Make
When you make your Banana Chocolate Chip Bread I would love for you to snap a photo and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to hear from you!
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Make this dreamy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. Chocolatey, cakey, and super moist. With just 20 minutes to prep this cake is super simple to whip up.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar, I used cane sugar
- ½ cup of melted vegan butter
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup of chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 medium banana, sliced (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line your loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Make the vegan buttermilk mixture. Combine the dairy-free milk and apple cider vinegar together in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar together.
- Combine the oil, mashed banana, and vanilla to the buttermilk mixture and whisk.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients together and mix for 1-2 minutes. DO NOT overmix your batter. Slowly fold 1 cup of chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and one sliced banana (optional) on top of the batter.
- Bake loaf for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let completely cool outside of the loaf pan for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Make it Your Own
- I recommend using over ripe bananas for this recipe.
- Test to see if the loaf is cooked all the way by sticking a toothpick in the loaf. If it comes out clean then it is cooked all the way through.
- Garnish your Banana Chocolate Chip Bread with peanut butter and slice bananas.
Hello Marissa, I baked banana bread for the first time but I halved the sugar and I absolutely loved it. My family and I enjoyed it. Thank you so much for the recipe.
Yay I am so happy you enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.
Hi Marissa, what type of dairy-free milk did you use for this recipe?
Hi Fannie! I usually switch between oat milk, almond, and soy!
Hi Marissa, what type of dairy-free milk did you use in this recipe?
Hi Fannie! I usually switch between oat milk, almond, and soy!
Made your recipe and OH MY! So good. Even my skeptical parents who make banana bread all the time loved it. I think even more than their go to recipe. Thank You for sharing! So yummmm!!
Hi Elyse! Thank you so much for sharing this. It just made my day!
I’ve tried this recipe three times already: first time I went with white spelt flour, second with all purpose flour and my personal favorite came out to be the third option – gluten free flour! I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 and it came out so magnificently chewy…! ABSOLUTELY LOVE this recipe! Appreciate you sharing.
HI Masha! THANK you so much for sharing this with me. I am so happy to hear that.
Hi, I tried and our fam loves it. How did you keep it for the next day?
I am so happy to hear that Modd. I recommend wrapping it up and it can stay out on your counter for 2 days. If you have leftovers after that I like to slice the load and pop it in the freezer wrapped up. When its time to eat it again pop a slice in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, depending on how large the slice is.
Just made this and it’s so yummy! I used 2 cups oat flour (ground up the oats in a blender) and coconut kefir instead of the plant milk/”buttermilk” and it worked out great 😀
Hi Petra, I am so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing.
HELP! My bread collapsed. I used dairy free almond milk and only one banana in the recipe bc I thought when it said two bananas it included the one for the top. But I’m thinking they shouldn’t have made it collapsed?? Help!
Im sorry it collapsed. What type of flour did you use? I recommend all purpose flour for the texture. Also do you have instagram? I have a video showing you how to make it step by step if that helps.
Hi again. I cannot find your video on Instagram. Are you able to post the link to it here?
I hope it helps 🙂
I did use all purpose flour though. And BTW it is still being eaten even though it looks pathetic. Thank you for responding. 🙂
I don’t live in a place with access to vegan butter, any suggestions for substitutes?
yes! oil 🙂