Who wants a big bowl of this flavorful Orange Tofu? Crispy tofu tossed in a savory orange sauce. Then paired with rice and topped with sesame seeds, green onion, and fresh oranges. Such a quick and easy meal that your whole family will love.
Make this recipe gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour and soy sauce for gluten-free soy sauce or tamari.
For this recipe I used extra firm tofu. I recommend getting high protein tofu or extra firm tofu because it will hold its shape better than soft tofu. The first thing you will want to do before baking your tofu is press your tofu for at least 20 minutes.
You might be thinking, why should I press my tofu before baking? I like to refer to tofu as a sponge since it absorbs the liquids in which it is submerged in. When you buy your tofu it is already in a container of water. So I suggest you carefully take the tofu out of the package and drain the water. Then using a kitchen linen dab as much water off the tofu as possible before pressing your tofu. In order to get your tofu crispy you will need to remove as much of the liquid in it as possible.
TIPS WHEN MAKING YOUR TOFU
- Take the tofu out of the package and drain excess water. Rise the tofu and pat dry using a paper towel.
- Place the tofu on 2 paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and put it on a large plate.
- Add 2-3 heavy ceramic bowls on top of the tofu. The weight of the bowls will not squish or break the tofu but will simply just push the majority of the water out of the tofu. Let the tofu release the excess water for 20 minutes.
- Cut tofu into bite size cubes. If you like extra crispy tofu, cut them a little smaller than 1 inch by 1 inch.
- In a large bowl combine your pressed tofu, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Toss tofu until each piece is covered.
- For this tofu I fried it. However, if you do not want to fry it you can bake it. To bake it, spray a large baking pan with oil or line it with parchment paper. Evenly spread the breaded tofu cubes on your pan.
- Bake tofu at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Take the pan out, flip it and bake it for 15 additional minutes for a total of 30 minutes. If you like your tofu even crisper, bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Immediately toss your baked tofu with your sauce and eat!
Heat a large pan on medium heat. For this recipe I used ⅓ cup of canola oil. Other frying oils that I recommend include grapeseed or sunflower seed. Cook your tofu for 15 minutes continually flipping the tofu until each side is crispy and golden brown. Just be cautious not to burn your tofu. The oil will get super hot!
Place your fried tofu on a plate with a paper towel. The paper towel will absorb the oil that is still on the tofu. If you bake your tofu you do not need to add the paper towel under the plate.
This sauce is fresh, tangy, and packed with flavor. It’s super simple and easy to make. You can even make a large batch and save it for later.
To make this orange sauce heat a small pot on medium-low heat. Once warm, add the fresh squeezed orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, minced ginger, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and stir. Heat for 2-3 minutes but do not bring to a boil. In a separate small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and whisk. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir on medium low heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
Toss the orange sauce with your crispy tofu until all of the tofu pieces are covered. Immediately serve your Orange Tofu with stir fry veggies and rice. I garnished my meal with fresh cut oranges, green onion, and sesame seeds.
You can get so creative when it comes to what you pair your orange tofu with. I usually like to just use up what produce and grains that I have in my refrigerator or pantry.
Below are some of my favorite go-to’s :
Red bell pepper
Sugar snap peas
This Orange Tofu is:
Quick & Easy
When you make this Orange Tofu I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Savory and creamy Peanut Butter Tofu. Such a quick and easy meal that your whole family will love. Paired with rice and topped with sesame seeds and green onions.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, about 3-4 large oranges
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp of soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free)
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 1 package of extra firm tofu (14 ounces) or high protein tofu, pressed for 20 minutes and patted dry
- ¼ cup frying oil, I used canola oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, substitute for gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups of uncooked white rice, cooked according to the back of the package
- Cut the pressed tofu into bite size cubes. In a large bowl or plate combine your pressed tofu, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Toss tofu until each piece is covered with cornstarch.
- Heat a large pot with oil on medium heat. Place the breaded tofu cubes evenly in your pan. Fry your tofu for about 15 minutes, continually flipping the tofu until each side is crispy and golden brown.
- Place the fried tofu on a plate with a paper towel. The paper towel will absorb the oil that is still on the tofu.
- Heat a small pot on medium-low heat. Once warm, add the fresh squeezed orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, minced ginger, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, salt, and stir. Heat the sauce for 2-3 minutes but do not bring to a boil.
- In a separate small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and whisk. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir until the sauce starts to thicken. Once thick, immediately take it off the heat.
- Toss the orange sauce with your crispy tofu until all of the tofu pieces are covered. Immediately serve your Orange Tofu with rice.
- Leftovers will last wrapped up in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Make it Your Own
- Do you like baked tofu instead of fried? See the “tofu tip” section on how to bake your tofu.
- Garnish your Orange Tofu with fresh cut oranges, green onion, and sesame seeds.
- Add stir fry veggies with you Orange Tofu. Some of my favorites include, broccoli, carrots, and red bell pepper.