We had tons of tomatoes and fresh basil from our garden and knew I wanted to make something with them before they went bad. That is how I came up with this Summery Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart. Flaky puff pastry dough baked until golden brown and topped with everything bagel seasoning. Fill it with a cream cheese and top it off with fresh tomatoes, and basil. Make this tart in 25 minutes or less!
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS TART
- Preheat the oven to the temperature according to the directions on the puff pastry dough package. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (281 C).
- When I bought my puff pastry dough it was not frozen but I have bought it frozen before. If it is frozen make sure to thaw out to room temperature before working with it.
- The puff pastry dough that I bought was in the shape of a rectangle and was about 8 inches by 14 inches.
- Place your thawed dough on a large pan with parchment paper under the dough. This will make sure the dough does not stick to the pan.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife cut ½ inch border of the dough off and stack it on top of the edge of the dough. Repeat this on all 4 sides until all of the edges have two layers of puff pastry. Using your hands gently press the second layer down. Stacking your dough will make that thick and flakey crust. You will have a little extra dough from the overlapping. *See photo below.
- Using a fork lightly prick the middle of the dough multiple times throughout the entire puff pastry. This will make sure the dough in the middle doesn’t puff up into a huge bubble.
- Bake your tart for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. For my puff pastry I baked it for 15 minutes but it will all depend on the temperature of your oven.
- Using a rubber spatula spread an even layer of cream cheese in the middle of the puff pastry. I used ¾ cup of cream cheese for this tart. However, you can adjust the amount according to how much cream cheese you want.
- I used vegan butter on the crust so that the everything bagel seasoning would stick to the edge of the puff pastry. If you do not have vegan butter melted coconut oil will also work.
- Don’t have everything bagel seasoning? No worries, use sesame seeds or skip this step altogether.
- You will notice that some of the flakey dough will slightly come off when adding your cream cheese. That is totally fine! The tomatoes and basil will cover it up and you won’t even notice it.
I used fresh tomatoes and fresh basil for the toppings. For the tomatoes you can use cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, or whatever you have on hand. I just recommend slicing the tomatoes in rounds thinly. If you do not have fresh basil, dried basil would taste wonderful sprinkled on top.
This recipe makes 6 medium sized slices, which makes them perfect for an appetizer or a light lunch or dinner. If you are looking to make these as the main dish for your family I recommend pairing it with a delicious salad.
This Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart is :
Simple to make
When you make this Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart I would love for you to snap a photo of your dish and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan.com. I can’t wait to see your photos!
Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart
Flaky puff pastry dough baked until golden brown and topped with everything bagel seasoning. Fill it with a cream cheese and top it off with fresh tomatoes, and basil.
Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart
- 1 package of thawed puff pastry dough, I used 13.2 oz
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) melted butter, I used dairy-free butter.
- 2 (30 mL) Tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 2 -3 large and small tomatoes, chopped thinly
- ¾ cup (180 mL) dairy-free cream cheese
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh basil
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (281 C.).
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry dough with the parchment paper attached. Place the dough on a large sheet pan.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife cut ½ inch border of the dough off and stack it on top of the edge of the dough. Repeat this on all 4 sides until all of the edges have two layers of puff pastry. This will make your thick flakey crust. See photo for an example.
- Using a fork lightly prick the middle of the dough multiple times. This will make sure the dough in the middle doesn’t puff up into a huge bubble.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a rubber spatula spread an even layer of cream cheese in the middle of the puff pastry.
- Brush the melted butter (vegan wash) on top of the edges of the puff pastry dough using a kitchen brush. Sprinkle the everything bagel seasoning on the edges.
- Evenly place the fresh tomatoes and basil on top of the cream cheese. Top with additional bagel seasoning and salt.
- Cut into pieces using a pizza cutter and eat immediately. Leftovers will last for 1 day in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Make it Your Own
- I used vegan puff pastry dough to make this tart. However, if you are not vegan, regular puff pastry dough will work just as well.
- If you do not have everything bagel seasoning sesame seeds would make a great substitute.
- When you add your chopped tomatoes and basil to the puff pastry you will add it fresh and not cooked.