This Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich is the ultimate easy and stress free dish. Creamy, flavorful and packed with plant protein. Made with chickpeas, avocado, and one special seasoning, everything but the bagel seasoning. This salad only requires 7 ingredients and can be whipped up in 20 minutes or less. Make this recipe gluten-free with the choice of bread.
First, remove the skin and pit of the avocado. Place the avocado in a bowl and mash. You can do this using a fork or a potato masher.
Next, add your chickpeas to the bowl and mash.
Mashing your chickpeas is super simple. You can do this step using a fork or a potato masher. You will want to only mash half of the chickpeas. Leaving whole chickpeas in your salad will not only taste great but creates a lovely texture.
After mashing your chickpeas you are simply just going to add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
I used pre-made chickpeas but you can also make your chickpeas from scratch. You can also leave the skins on or off. You will just want to make sure to do that before adding it to the bowl.
You can get super creative with the toppings that you add on your Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich. For this sandwich I stuck to really simple toppings which are spinach and cucumbers.
Below are some tasty toppings I recommend:
Are you gluten-free? Make this entire recipe gluten by substituting the bread for gluten-free bread. If you are not able to find a gluten-free bread that you enjoy, just use gluten-free crackers instead of bread. The crackers taste just as amazing as if you are putting the salad between two pieces of bread.
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich:
Quick and easy
Packed with flavor
When you make this sandwich I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to see how you like it.
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
Creamy, flavorful, packed with plant protein. This salad only requires 7 ingredients and can be whipped up in 20 minutes or less.
- 1/2 can (15 ounce) of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and skins removed.
- 1 large avocado, peeled with the pit removed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp everything but the bagel seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper
- Place the avocado in a bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the chickpeas and mash half of the chickpeas.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Taste Chickpea Salad and add additional seasoning ( garlic powder or everything but the bagel seasoning). Place the salad in the refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes (optional).
- Spread the salad on your bread and top with your favorite toppings.
- Leftovers will last in an airtight container for 1 day. If you have prepared your sandwich with the bread I recommend eating it that day, otherwise it will get soggy.
- Not a fan of everything but the bagel seasoning? Skip adding it and add your favorite seasonings instead.
- Are you gluten free? Substitute the bread for gluten-free bread to make this meal completely gluten-free.
- Use white beans instead of chickpeas.