These Smashed Potatoes are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Drizzled with delicious creamy tahini and sprinkled with fresh herbs. A dish that everyone will love!
TIPS WHEN SMASHING YOUR POTATOES
- How to pick out the right potatoes. I used mini yellow potatoes which are also called yukon gold potatoes for this recipe. When picking your potatoes I definitely recommend choosing the mini potatoes.
- Make sure to boil your potatoes so they are nice and tender. You can check to see if they are all the way cooked but piercing it with a fork. If it pierces easily, then it is cooked all the way through.
- To mash or “flatten them” I used a fork to mash the potatoes. You can also use the bottom of a glass cup.
- I recommend mashing the potatoes so they are about 1/2 of an inch thick. If the potatoes break off just add it back to the potato. The potato will be soft after boiling it making it easy to add it back together.
- Before placing the mashed potatoes in the oven make sure to sprinkle your oil and salt on the potatoes.
- You will not need to flip the potatoes while baking. For crispier potatoes keep them in the oven longer.
The sauce is optional but really pairs well with these crispy potatoes. For the tahini sauce I used 5 simple ingredients, tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and water. You can modify this recipe by adding more or less salt and garlic powder. You can also modify the thickness by adding less or more water.
I sprinkled my potatoes with chopped green onions and fresh cilantro. However, the options for herbs are endless. Some other great toppings to add besides herbs would be sesame seeds, caramelized onions, or crushed red pepper. You can be super creative when it comes to garnishes.
These smashed potatoes taste the best when they are eaten immediately. If you didnt drizzle the tahini sauce over them you can eat them for leftovers. They can be stored wrapped up in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They taste best reheated at 425 degrees fahrenheit (281 C) for 10-15 minutes or until warm.
These Crispy Smashed Potatoes are:
Fluffy in the inside
Crunchy on the outside
Simple to make
If you make these Crispy Smashed Potatoes I would love it if you would snap a photo of your food and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
They are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Drizzled with creamy tahini and sprinkled with fresh herbs.
- Mini potatoes scrubbed clean, I used yukon gold potatoes, I used 15 mini potatoes
- 2 to 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp salt [recipe-ingredients title="Creamy Tahini Sauce"]
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2-3 Tbsp filtered water, add more for a thinner sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to your water and slowly add your potatoes. Boil for 15- 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (204 C).
- Take boiled potatoes out of the water and let steam dry for 5 minutes. Evenly place potatoes on an oiled baking pan.
- Using a fork or a potato masher mash your cooked potatoes so that they are about 1/2 inch thick. If you want extra crispy potatoes, mash them thinner.
- Drizzle potatoes with oil and salt. If you are oil free skip adding the oil. Bake potatoes for 40 minutes or until crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, mix the tahini sauce ingredients together. Place the sauce in the refrigerator. 7.To serve, arrange the crispy potatoes on a plate and top with the creamy tahini sauce, chopped green onion, fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Serve and eat immediately.
Make it Your Own
- I used avocado oil to get the potatoes crispy. If you are oil free you can skip adding it.
- I smashed my potatoes ½ inch thick. If you want extra crispy potatoes, mash them thinner.
- I added creamy tahini sauce on top. However, they taste just as wonderful without the pesto.