Who else loves pumpkin baked goods? These Pumpkin Turnovers are incredibly flakey on the outside and tender on the inside. Filled with pumpkin and topped with a spiced glaze. This recipe is super easy to make and only requires 6 ingredients.
Make these ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake them.
TIPS TO MAKE DELICIOUS TURNOVERS
- The puff pastry dough. You can make your own dough or use store bought dough. Both will work out perfectly. If you are using store bought make sure to read the directions on the package on how to defrost it.
- Same with the pumpkin puree, you can make your own or use store bought. If you are buying pumpkin puree from the store make sure that it is unsweetened.
- Be careful not to add too much pumpkin puree to the inside of your turnovers, about 1 ½ tablespoons. Adding too much pumpkin will make it seep out of the sides of the dough when you assemble the turnovers.
- Use the tine of the fork to press the edges together. This will really make sure that the turnovers don’t come apart while baking in the oven.
- Before baking these turnovers cut 3 slits on the top. This will make sure the air can escape while they are baking.
- I recommend baking the turnovers for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Just make sure to keep an eye on them so they do not burn.
VEGAN EGG WASH
For the vegan egg wash I used dairy-free milk. However, there are other options you can use instead. Here are my other go-to vegan egg washes.
Can’t find pumpkin spice at your local grocery store? Mix these spices together instead:
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tso cloves
¼ tsp allspice
I love adding a spice glaze to the top of them.
Though, I realize not everyone likes their turnovers to be sweet. So if you don’t want these to be too sweet, skip adding the glaze altogether. You can also skip adding maple syrup to the pumpkin puree.
These scones taste the best when you eat them the day you make them. Of course, you can eat them a couple days later, they just tend to dry out the longer they are saved.
These Pumpkin Turnovers are:
Only Requires 5 Ingredients
If you make these I would love it if you would snap a photo of your Pumpkin Turnovers and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to see how you like it!
These Pumpkin Turnovers are incredibly flakey on the outside and tender on the inside. Filled with pumpkin and topped with a spiced glaze.
- 1 lb of puff pastry dough, two sheets, thawed according to the back of the package
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 Tbsp vegan egg wash, I used dairy-free milk
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free milk, add more until your desired consistency
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Grease a large baking pan or line it with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice together until combined.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry dough sheets. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 4 equal squares. Spoon the spiced pumpkin puree in the middle of each square, about one and half tablespoons. You can add less of the mixture, just make sure to leave a half inch border.
- Brush a little of the milk “vegan egg wash” on the edges of the pastry dough. Just make sure not to add too much. Fold the dough over, corner to corner, creating a triangle shape. Using the tines of a fork, seal the edges together. Repeat steps until all of your turnovers are made.
- Using a knife, cut 3 slits on the top of the pastry. This will allow the air to escape while baking.
- Arrange the turnovers on the baking pan, about an inch apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine the spiced icing ingredients together. Add more or less milk to the glaze to get your desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the turnovers. Let the turnovers cool. Eat and enjoy!
- Don’t want these turnovers to be too sweet? Skip adding the spiced icing to the top of the turnovers.
- You can use coconut oil or olive oil instead of the milk for the vegan egg wash.
- I recommend eating these turnovers 24 hours from when you make them.
Is the puff pastry dough vegan too?
Yes, the one I used was. Just check the back of the ingredient list before hand. I am not sure if all of them are vegan.