Crumbly and buttery Apple Crisp. Tart spiced apples sprinkled with an oat topping and baked until the crumble is golden brown. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This recipe is simple, delicious, and a crowd pleaser.
TIPS WHEN MAKING THIS APPLE CRISP
- The size pan that I used is a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. You can also use a smaller glass dish like a 9 x 9 inch dish. Just be aware if you use a smaller pan the crip will be much thicker and might need to be baked a little longer.
- For the apples you can either leave the skin off or peel the apples before cutting them into bite size pieces. I cut my apples into 1 inch pieces.
- When adding the sugar to this crips I recommend using brown sugar or if you dont have brown sugar, coconut sugar.
- I personally love adding oats to the crumble. If you do not have them you can substitute it with more flour.
- As you add the flour to your measuring cups make sure to spoon and level your flour. You will want to make sure not to overpack the measuring cups with flour. Adding too much will make the crumble too dry.
- For an extra crispy crisp, leave the apple crisp in the oven for an extra couple of minutes. Just make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
I used granny smith apples for this crisp. I personally love to use them for their tart flavor. However, there are a variety of other really great apples to use for this recipe. Below are some that I recommend using:
I cut my apples into 1 inch pieces. However, you can cut the apples in any size that you want, either large or small. You will just need to adjust the baking time depending on the size of the apples.
Get creative and add additional ingredients to your apple crisp. You will just want to mix these in with the crumble topping before baking.
This Apple Crisp is:
Satisfy your Sweet Tooth
Simple to Make
When you make this Apple Crisp I would love for you to snap a photo and share it with me on instagram @itsallgoodvegan. I can’t wait to hear from you!
Tart spiced apples sprinkled with an oat topping and baked until the crumble is golden brown.
- 4 large apples, I used Granny Smith apples
- 2 tsp flour, gluten-free
- 2 tsp lemon juice or half of a small lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar substitute with coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1/2 cup flour, gluten-free
- ¼ cup brown sugar substitute with coconut sugar
- ½ cup of cold vegan butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Peel your apples, if you like, and cut them into 1 inch pieces. Place the apples evenly in a 9 inch by 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the apple ingredients in the glass dish. Using a spoon mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl combine the crumble ingredients together. Using a fork cut the butter with the flour and oats. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- I peeled my apples for this recipe but you can keep them on if you want. Both taste wonderful.
- Don’t have a 9 inch by inch baking dish? No worries, just use a smaller baking dish instead. You just might have to adjust the baking time.
- Have leftovers? Wrap it up and place it in the refrigerator. You can warm your leftovers up or eat them cold.